Verona Road Reconstruction
The City of Fitchburg has been working with WisDOT on the US 18/151 (Verona Road) corridor since the mid 1990's, when the first Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) was prepared to consider alternatives to address congestion and safety issues within the corridor. WisDOT is prepared to move forward with the implementation of the recommended interim improvements.
Public Information Meeting - Verona Raod (US 18/151) project - Stage 2
The WisDOT will hold a public information meeting (PIM) to discuss the Verona Road (US 18/151) project in Dane County.
Wednesday December 11, 2013 at 5:30 to 8:00 pm
Fitchburg Public Library 5530 Lacy Road Fitchburg, WI
For more infomation or contact numbers please see WisDOT Notice
WisDOT presented the current status of this project at the January 23 Committee of the Whole (COW) meeting. Click on the link below to view their powerpoint presentation which includes maps, schedules, and more specifics about the various stages of this large project. Verona Road (US 18/151) Project Presentation.
Listed below is a broad overview of the project and its various stages. The Verona Road Reconstruction project consists of a 3-stage implementation, with Stage 1 work beginning in 2013:
- Construction to begin this year; 2013-2016
- Verona Road between Raymond Road and Nakoma Road
- Beltline Highway between whitney Way and Seminole Highway
- Various Intersection Improvements to address traffic mitigation
- Military Ridge Path Overpass of McKee Road
The majority of Stage 1 work will occur outside of Fitchburg city limits and will focus on the area of Verona Road that is north of Raymond Road. However, Stage 1 will include various intersection improvements in Fitchburg and a grade separated crossing of th eMilitary Ridge Path over McKee Road.
The intersection improvements are being completed to address some of the congestion issues that may arise at local intersections from deterred traffic avoiding the construction zone. This will include:
- CTH and CTH M (addition of turn lanes in all approaches)
- CTH D and Whalen Road (addition of turn lanes)
- Seminole Highway and Lacy Road (addition of turn lanes)
- CTH PD and Seminole Highway (addition of turn lanes)
- Seminole Highway and Sentinel Pass (addition of traffic signal and turn lanes)
The construction of the Military Ridge Path grade sepatated crossing is anticipated to begin following the July 4 holiday, 2013.
- Construction slated from 2017-2019, with possible delays
- Verona Raod from County PD (McKee Road) to Raymond Road
- McKee Road between Hardrock Road and Commerce Park Drive
The majority of Stage 2 work will occur within the city limits and will include the following projects:
- An Interchange at McKee Road
- Expansion of US 151 to 3 lanes in each direction from McKee Road to just south of Raymond Road
- Intersection improvements at Williamsburg Way with the Potential for an interchange
- Noise Walls at various locations
- Projected for 2030 or later (when needed)
- Freeflow interchange at Verona Road/Beltline Highway with directional ramps to the east
For More Information go to http://www.dot.state.wi.us/projects/swregion/18151/index.htm
To promote public understanding of the project, WisDOT will be holding Public Outreach Hours for the Verona Road Project at Fire Station #2 in Fitchburg. For schedule and more details see 2013 Open House Schedule.